Monday, March 15, 2021

Did Somebody Say Sebring?

F
inally, some racing to write about. Even better, it's another bucket list race event for me: the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. I've wanted to photograph a race at Sebring for years, but this year is the first time I've been able to make it happen. Preparations have not been without a couple of hiccups, but those appear to have all been resolved and I'm ready to head south in a week with a friend of mine from Cicero, Indiana.

At LeMans in 2017; got a new helmet this week

I love sports car racing and I've especially come to love the endurance classics which feature multiple classes of cars fighting for position hour upon hour. I have photographed the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona three different times, and I was fortunate to get credentials to shoot the 24 Hours of LeMans in 2017. I plan to go back to LeMans this August on its rescheduled date and hope to have credentials again - assuming travel restrictions between America and France are no longer an issue. Now to have the chance to shoot Sebring and support my friends at French media company MPS Agency - it's one helluva way to start my 2021 racing season.

I expect I will photograph Indycar at Indianapolis for MPSA again as I did in 2018 and 2019 at the Indianapolis Grand Prix and the Indy 500. After that, the rest of this year is wide open for me. Prior to last year, I was pretty well scheduled out with the ARCA Menards Series but that all changed in 2020 when new people came in with a different philosophy about the photography needs of the series. As a result, I had to scramble to shoot any races at all last season. Add the pandemic protocols to that and last year was quite a challenge.

At least this year, progress in overcoming Covid-19 is being made. I will be fully vaccinated in less than two weeks and the mass vaccination programs now underway worldwide give me hope that travel to France in August will be allowed so I can shoot my second LeMans and see many of the friends I  made four years ago. In the meantime, I will enjoy being in Florida for three days of sports car racing this week and savor the experience of shooting another major event on the global motorsports calendar. Maybe I'll see you at Sebring. Say hi and I'll take your picture! Safe travels everyone. Get your shot!

No comments: