Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Indy 500 Oldtimer as Daytona 500 Rookie

The longest racing road trip of my life starts in less than 15 hours as I head to Daytona to shoot this weekend's races for Associated Press. My goal is to be on the beach for Friday morning's sunrise. I will have the chance to shoot the Camping World truck race that night, the Nationwide race Saturday and the 500 for Sprint Cup on Sunday. With NASCAR making changes to the rules all week to keep the packs below 200 mph on the freshly paved surface, it will be an interesting 500, especially now that pole winner Dale Earnhardt Jr. hit the wall in practice this afternoon and will have to start from the back in tomorrow's Duels and in the 500 on Sunday.

I have been crazy busy lately with teaching, officiating basketball and my own classes at Marian, so a long racing road trip seems like just the ticket! My race photography season has never started this early before, but I've been salivating ever since the Rolex 24 hours race three weeks ago. I hope to post regular blogs and photos throughout the weekend but I have no idea what AP will want me to do or where I will get to shoot. Whatever happens, I will try to post it here so stay tuned race fans.

RIP to longtime Indy 500 public address announcer Tom Carnegie who passed away this week. He's calling races with all the legends now. God rest his soul; prayers to his wife and family. The words "It's a new track record" will never be the same at Indy again.

No comments: