Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fanimation GP #Mayindytweetup

I had a blast racing today at Fastimes Indoor Karting facility but even though I was not the quickest out there, I met my goal to make into the A-Main race and ran my fastest lap at 25.505 during that race.

I was 9th fastest out of 16 after three qualifying sessions with a best lap of 25.557 so that put me in the B-main with7 others. The top 6 went to the A automatically; fast time was 23.4 for the event. In the blind draw for B-main starting positions I pulled "3" so I started 3rd and got past one person right away but the red mist took over, I ran out of talent and felt I got pinched by the leader at the hairpin while trying to take the lead. I hit them, they spun and then everyone behind me stacked up. I got hit pretty hard from behind by someone so we had a restart but I was in second. It was an 8 minute race and I knew I would advance to the "A" with a top 2 finish. A couple laps later there was another yellow but the leader didn't see the green come out and I went to P1 for a few laps, then got conservative and got passed to finish 2nd in the "B". We were well ahead of 3rd so we finished it out and then immediately got ready for the "A" where I started 8th.

By this time the rub spot on my back that I always get at Fastimes was starting to bother me and the ribs on my left side were getting tender as the Fastimes track has lots of fast right-handers that throw you left in the seat. I picked up one spot when someone spun but promptly lost it back and then it was just a matter of trying to run good laps on my own before the leaders caught me with a couple of laps to go. I had to wave them by as the top 3 had a pretty good race going and I didn't want to screw it up for them.

Lots of nice race swag was given out and even though I didn't win any of the prizes that were raffled off, I was happy I got the chance to meet some of the Indy twitterati who are as crazy about racing as I am.

Now my Integra feels like a kart on these wet Indy roads as I wind my way to class at Marian U. I'm sure my body will remind me tomorrow how crazy this was after running 87 laps on the day. I can't wait to do it again.

Now it's time for the real racers to get busy with Carb Day for the #Indy500 and the Firestone Indy Lights Freedom 100 tomorrow. See you there!
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments: