Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tony Stewart Storms to Win Daytona Nationwide Race

It was a great day at the beach for Hoosier Tony Stewart as he seemingly came from nowhere after the final restart inside 10 laps to go to win by a nose. My vantage point in Turn 4 enabled me to shoot lots of pack racing, side by side and tandem pushing attacks as leaders fell back then moved up through the field with partners all day long. On a chamber of commerce day at Daytona International Speedway, any number of contenders could have won today, but it was simply a matter of who was going to get the right push at the end. Clint Bowyer and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. were in the final push to the finish line, but I hope Tony is going to take Landon Cassill out for dinner tonight, as that young man gave Stewart the shove he needed to get by in the last few feet. Cassill was very impressive all day and might just have earned a return favor from "Smoke" on another day.

Here's a quick slideshow of action from my viewpoint this afternoon. More to come later as I get time to do some serious editing. I do not yet know where Associated Press will position me for the 500 tomorrow but I am looking forward to it as the race promises more of the same pushing and shoving that we've seen in the truck race last night and today's Nationwide event.


No comments: